|On October 11, 1882, a committee from the Central Union Association of Baptist Churches met at the home of Mr. & Mrs. D. Duer Philips to consider the merits of a Baptist Church in Kennett Square. The first service followed in Taylor Hall located at Broad & Cypress Streets. On Monday, December 18 of that year, representatives of seventeen churches from the Central Union Association met together with nineteen constituent members of the Kennet flock to formerly recognize the founding of a new church.|
|In January of 1883, Rev. J. M. Lyons was called to become the first pastor of the Kennett Square Baptist Church. Location of the first church sanctuary would be at Cypress and Union Streets and the first worship was held there on October 4, 1885.|
|After steady growth, First Baptist Church outgrew itself and a new church and parsonage were completed in 1926 at the current location of West State and Garfield Streets. On May 24, 1957, ground was broken for a new educational building. Again, in 1968, a program of improvement and alteration was begun with the addition of a Narthex with a choir room underneath, enlargement of the Social Room, new lighting, carpeting and pews, new heating system, new kitchen, and a parking lot. Work was completed on October 15, 1971.|
|The two buildings were joined during a major
renovation and expansion project in 2000. A new welcome center,
church offices, daycare facilities, modern restrooms and an elevator were
added. In addition, the sanctuary and church social room underwent
Today, we praise the Lord that we are providing a place where we can carry out the ministry of Christ.
God is good.... all the time.
|Home||Why we are here||Map||Staff||Family Ministries||Calendar|